Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I got myself a Daemon

Philip Pullman is one of my favorite author. In fact, I was able to read "His Dark Materials Trilogy" long before it was announced that they are going to create a movie out of his novel. "The Golden Compass" is the first of the three books, "The Subtle Knife" is the second, and the third is "The Amber Spyglass" - which is arguably the most fun and disturbing of the three books. From the moment I read the first few lines of the first book, I am already hooked. That's why I read the second book right after finishing the first, and read the third after the second. I just like the trilogy so much.

I am very excited to watch the movie adaptation of "The Golden Compass." I am thrilled to see how they recreated the book into this new medium. This book revolves mainly on Lyra, the main character, who she is and what she is capable of. Oh, I don't want to be a spoiler so I won't be giving so much details. So this is Lyra's quest to save her bestfriend, with the aid of alethiometer (an instrument which tells nothing but the truth), who have been abducted by people who takes away or breaks away the bond that ties the human from his/her daemon (daemon is like our soul but the difference is that you can actually see it). You're going to hate the antagonists of the story, I'm sure of that. I recommend that you grab a copy of the book first before heading the theatres on December 2007. And don't forget to buy the second and third installations to complete Lyra's whole journey. Enjoy.

No comments: